Mick has over 30 years experience in the Convenience Store Industry ranging from Store Manager to CEO. His proven track record of building sustainable business growth thru Leadership, Teamwork, Process Improvement and Business Strategy Development/Implementation creates a unique opportunity to help others to be successful in their business endeavors.
b2b Solutions, LLC, Lake Forest, Illinois
Full service consulting company for retailers and suppliers to retail firms.
Consulting Partner (2010 to Present)
Responsible for assisting clients with development and implementation of strategic businesses plans, conducting operational due diligence for both financial and strategic buyers, assisting sellers in preparing their companies for sale, and profit improvement across a number of disciplines within existing retail organizations.
VILLAGE PANTRY, LLC (VPS Convenience Store Group) Indianapolis, Indiana (2007 — 2010)
A 380 store C-Store chain owned by Sun Capital Partners, a private equity group, operating in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina and South Carolina
President and CEO/COO
Responsible for the development and implementation of the Strategic Business Plan to maximize cash flow and enterprise value
- Successfully spun off company from parent ( Marsh Supermarkets )
- Recruited entire new management team
- Completed financing and sale lease back of real estate for the new company
- Implemented PDI Enterprise at home office and store level
- Grew company from 175 stores to 380 stores, while concurrently divesting of underperforming locations
- Developed and implemented long-term CAPEX plan to include store remodel and food service upgrades
- Developed and implemented culture for high performance and success
ALIMENTATION COUCHE-TARD: DBA - Circle K Stores (1987 — 2007)
A multi-billion c-store company operating over 3,300 stores in the United States
Vice President Florida/Gulf Coast Region (2004 — 2007)
- Responsible for the P & L performance for 530 Company Operated Circle K stores and 100+ dealer sites
- Developed three year Strategic Plan to maximize EBITDA Growth and ROCE
- Responsible for operations, marketing/merchandising, fuel, pos/help desk, human resources, facilities and real estate in five gulf coast states
Vice President/General Manager (2001 — 2004)
- Responsible for the field operations of 2,400 Company operated Circle K stores throughout the US
- Successful implementation of cost reduction initiatives focused on labor management, utilities, merchandise/cash loss and human resource improvements.
- Played a key role in the successful sale of Circle by Conoco Phillips to Alimentation Couche-Tard by making presentations to more than 16 different investment and strategic buyers, completing due diligence and participating in meetings with prospective buyers
Vice President/Director of Retail Development (1998 — 2001)
- Lead a cross function team of business professionals and outside consultants, representing store operations, marketing/merchandising, fuel, information systems and accounting developing leading edge solutions for the organizations business needs
- Systems/Process developed included POS scanning, inventory management, category management and business intelligence tools
- Developed labor management process to include budgeting, reporting, and scheduling modules
Region Vice President (1994 — 2001)
- P & L Responsibility for 400 Company Operated Circle K Stores located in Texas and the central part of the US
- Successful Divestment of multi-state operations due to non-strategic nature of sites.
- Selected as one of 13 individuals to become "Division President" operating the Louisana/Texas Division.
Region Marketing Director and Category Manager (1990 — 1994)
- Provided marketing and merchandising support for multi state region including developing category plans and fuel strategy
- Instituted multi-state CMA negotiation process
- Co-developed Staxx c-store brand. This low priced, reduced SKU offer was tested in Texas and Oklahoma.
Division Operation Manager (1987 — 1990)
- Responsible for daily operation of 75 to 100 company operated Circle K stores
- Received multiple promotions of increased responsibility
SOUTHLAND CORPORATION: DBA - 7-Eleven Food Stores (1980 — 1987)
- Held various positions from store manager to Division Operation Manager
Bachelors of Business Administration (1978)
New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico